I bought a pizza in La Clusaz the other night and the box looked like this:
So, what’s wrong with this picture? Actually, what’s right about it!
- I’m in the French ski resort of La Clusaz: where is the seaside and the boat?
- The girl in the background, still young enough to need a floaty, seems to have cleavage.
- The girl is also looking a bit ‘up for it’ despite her interest in sand castle building (bucket in hand) and floaty dependency.
- The pizza man is grinning just a little too happily: I’m guessing he’s just seen the ‘up for it’ girl.
- Is his pizza stick not just a bit phallic? Especially the way it’s pointing through a gaping hole and towards the girl?
Maybe it is actually a wholesome illustration that some Italian created to truly reflect the happiness of the pizza-maker charged with making my pizza, or to reflect how imaginative a pizza can be or something. Actually, it probably is: a friend showed me a drawing that a little boy did at her work. It had KKK written on it, a man in a white pointy hat, and a green man with wings who was crying. It turns out that the five year-old is not actually up on the Klu Klux Klan: his name is Karl but he can only write the K so far, and my friend had painted his friend’s face green.